Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Father & Son


Andy & Dad Boundary Waters (click to enlarge)

Time together


I remember the time I had to teach my son the consequences for something he had done. Andy was about 4 years old when he and his little neighborhood buddy were found running circles through our front and back yard. I couldn't figure out how they were able to accomplish this without going through our garage or house. Because there is an in-ground pool in the backyard, our fence had no gate. The only access was via our patio door or the garage.

I decided to investigate the situation and upon closer observation, I found the problem. Well, it was a problem for me. For Andy it was an opportunity. He and his friend had busted loose a few boards from the privacy fence and commenced to crawling through it as they escaped into the neighbor's yard. Now I had a dilemma on my hands. Do I scream, holler and get angry? Or, do I relax and think of a creative way to offer another of life's lessons? I chose the latter.

I got Andy's attention along with his friend George and we gathered a couple of nails and a hammer. I also went into the house to retrieve my camera. Out to the scene of the crime we went as I informed Andy that busting holes in the fence is not the preferred way to be entertained. I told him he was to nail the boards back on but not until I took a picture. There he and George posed, like two innocent kids waiting to undo their misdeed. Their picture, one kid with the hammer the other with the evidence, was perfect.

The boys fixed the fence and later I had the picture developed so I could tape it up in Andrew's room. I informed him the picture was a reminder to not make the same mistakes his dad seems to often make. "Think before you act." The lesson wasn't about the fence but rather a bigger lesson about life. Our actions need to be thought through because life has consequences. Some are good and some are bad. Some we can undo and some we can't.

Soon Andy is turning 21-years-old and I'm proud to say that my son seems to have learned his lesson. Although he is often anxious as any young man to make his own decisions, he usually is careful enough to seek advice before he acts.

It takes time to grow up, time to teach, and it takes time to learn. Take some time today and find a creative way to teach a child another one of life's lessons. Being creative can also make it much more memorable. Remember, as men it's our job to make a positive impact on the next generation. I believe not enough of us are are taking our job seriously.

No comments: