Monday, May 09, 2005

Again & Again

How many times have I cleaned out my garage over the 18 years I've lived here? Too many times. I'm convinced junk bunnies are mating in my garage. Every time I open the door, there's a Dodge Dakota truckload of stuff I've never seen before.

Life is full of repetition isn't it. We clean the garage every spring. Dishes get dirty every day. My kids need money from me just about every other day. My wife has to remind me I'm in charge...every day. Okay, that last one isn't true.

They say that 99% of what you did today was fairly predictable. We get up at the same time. We go through our rituals in the shower and in front of the sink. We grab a cup of coffee and drive the same car down the same road to the same job. Everyday.

So when are you going to start doing something interesting? How about make a point to find an alternate route home from work at least once a week. Maybe get a new hair cut since the last time you changed styles you were in high school. Get a subscription to a new magazine. Rent a DVD. Go next door and introduce yourself to a neighbor.

If life is too full of the same old garbage in your garage, it's nobody's fault but your own. I say you need to sleep on the opposite side of the bed tonight and then get up and start your first unpredictable day - tomorrow. And do it before the junk bunnies go into heat.

No comments: