Saturday, May 21, 2005

Row 7C is an aisle seat.

It's a cloudy day in Minneapolis, MN. I've had it up to my eyebrows with dreary days so the fact that I'm headed to the airport for a trip to the west coast is a welcome change. However, 3 1/2 hours later I land in Seattle, Washington and within twenty minutes I'm turning on the wiper blades of my Budget rent-a-car. Out of the frying pan and into the rain. What a drag.

Of all the things that life throws at me, cloudy or rainy days are one thing that I really struggle with. Especially if there's too many in a row. I've come to realize it's more physiological than anything. I've discovered that some people actually suffer from chemical changes in their brain when subjected to an extended period of cloudy days. For me, the sun is more than a day brightener.

Well, the trip to Washington state wasn't a total loss. I drove to Olympia and checked into my hotel. The next day I met some really great people that I delivered two speeches to. I also saw a lot of trees and a few distant mountains. Most of all, I met people.

Before you think it strange of my remark about meeting people, let me explain. I made it a point to meet more people than I usually would. Although the trip only lasted 24 hours, I enjoyed a conversation with the girl that sold me a watch band and I learned her boyfriend is from Winnona, Minnesota. The boyfriend's father is a college professor. I talked to Dave at the cellular phone kiosk while he and I googled info for a battery I was needing. I learned that the young girl behind the counter at my hotel was going to deliver her baby in July and that she was feeling more than ready for that day to come. I visited with passengers that I sat with on the airplane. One guy owns two insurance agencies. Another guy was traveling with his wife while she attended a conference. He's from Duluth and has been an accountant for 25 years.

What's my point? The point is, I'm learning to focus on other people. Sound stupid to you? After all, I travel all over the United States meeting with thousands of people as I speak for their conferences and conventions. You'd think the last thing I need to learn is to focus on others.

The fact is, while I'm comfortable standing in front of thousands, I'm usually uncomfortable speaking one-on-one. To speak to an audience doesn't necessarily require that I focus on any one person. However, if you put me in a room with just one person, I'll be looking to escape within minutes. I'm the guy that is looking past your ears while you're telling me about yourself. My eyes want to roam anywhere but into yours. It's a lot of work keeping my attention. Especially when you live with a brain that craves constant stimulation.

My 737 has landed and I'm back to my favorite city. As I get ready to deplane, I remind the little boy sitting behind me to drink his bath water every day if he's planning on growing to be as tall as me. I say goodbye to the accountant and his wife and I head to the baggage claim. By the way, the accountant and his wife are staying the night in St. Paul before heading back to Duluth.

At 10 P.M. it's too dark to observe whether or not it's still cloudy. All I know is, I've got a much better attitude about life regardless of the fact that I've gone nearly 10 days now without seeing much sunshine. Actually, I'm thinking the people I met have given me a few rays of hope...and those rays are becoming my new day brightener.

If you're like me... take some time today and make freinds with a total stranger. Jump outside your "center-of-attention" mindset and put a little one-on-0ne sunshine in your life.

No comments: